2015年7月1日 星期三

American politics - the 43rd floor & 9th floor

43rd floor
People from different countries live in the apartment I am living: the Americans, Europeans, Japanese, Taiwanese, etc. Every Sunday a free bagel lunch, which locates on the 43rd floor, attracts people from "all around the World".

Woman there love to talk, they seemed not to have many things to do on usual days. Me and Bill don't mind to talk. But sometimes some of them talk to teach (or preach). I once take a piece of tissue paper from a tissue roll to dry my hand.  "Your hand makes the tissue roll wet, that was not very nice." Bill reported how a 30 something years old woman commented on me, I did not hear when she commented. Next time maybe it  is better to cut it with a pair of scissor.  

The same woman, she called herself "chicken". Another time we saw her, we were toasting bagels in a toaster. She was using the coffee machine. Suddenly the coffee machine went short-circuit. We understood the overloading is caused by multitasking of the toaster and the coffee machine. So we are willing to offer help before she actually request. She looked surprised and her lips curl: "Opps, can you pluck out the socket?" Her immediate response was to order two gentleman next to him (Me and Bill) to do the task. We are amazed by her sense of entitlement. We only took out our bagels, resisting to go with her way. She then dramatize: " Oh, No no no,I...I am a chicken. I can't touch the socket." Annoyed by her arrogance, we step front to pluck the socket. " Yeap right there." "Just pluck the socket out." "Put it back". It sounds very much she is participating. Apparently she knows touching the socket will risk being electrocuted. And Asian lives may be less expensive, so we did the task.

Most of these women are single ladies. Bill is pity of them. When you grow old without any company , the only thing makes life fun might just be gossiping around. I was restrained by an 40 years old lady in the pool for swimming in a wrong direction: " You can't swim diagonally. I am swimming this direction. (point vertical) " I felt that this is tragic. No one can own a stream of the pool or the whole of it. Yes you have strong opinions on matters. But you are just trying to challenging others' border line. The space that you draw for yourself, to me is but loneliness.
Some says the Americans are very conscious to individualism. Yes they are. They are also not afraid of to stepping in to rectify you. Getting the tissue roll wet, swimming in a wrong direction, are not black or white matters. But if people think it is violate their social nicities. They will tell you what to do. The key is to communicate. You have to speak for yourself ensure mutual understanding.

9th floor
Getting tired of the social niceties, I found myself a indoor place to enjoy tranquility - the 9th floor. Every Wednesday there is a free Yoga lesson on 9th floor. People in here don't talk much. If we do, that is most likely to be greetings or small chats. Then we are quiet and back to ourselves. You won't hear judgments from others but your inner voice.  Participants includes women with back pain, a health conscious middle-aged guy, a painter, newly moved in couples. We all more or less have some troubles and anxiety in life. But we are choose to put it down here, not seeking for.

Outside the Yoga room is a garden. A girl interrupted me when I was dancing. But I was so happy to be interrupted. She first appeared as a little dot from miles away. She walked half in moving, half in falling - a sign of new born baby. I guess she is 5 or 6 years old? When she became visible to me, her face reminded me of Rue, the character in the Hunger Games. "What are you doing?"  I will feel a bit embarrassed if it was a question by an adult. But her watery eyes and bird voice warm my heart. Children are simple. Their questions are merely curiosity and there are no decorations. "I am dancing." I told her and I knew she will be puzzled. But I want to keep talking: "What is your name?"
 "Oblivia"
"Olivia"
"Oblivia"
"Oblivia"

Her name should be originated from Africa so I don't really had an idea. It back and forth perpetuates for 4 times.  But she was never tired or bored by my errors. She restated her name for 5 times. Later when I talked to her father, he apologized that Oblivia was bothering me. "No! Absolutely not." I cannot agreed with the him for. "You have a curios and brave daughter!" I love to be bothered.

Indeed, on 43rd floor, you can see a spectacular city view, networking with customary people. But strong wind blows your face and makes want to go home. On the 9th floor, no wind is blowing. The tree is moving slowly. The child talks to you without purposes. Some of their questions can blank your mind, just because how genuine and frank it is.



Tranquility, is an ultimate state we are looking for.


Trees and stones never rush.

"What are you doing?" Oblivia asked. 9th floor



沒有留言:

張貼留言